For some people it’s hard to stay focused at Christmas. It’s easier to indulge in Christmas classics and forget about your goals. But not a Free Athlete. A Free Athlete is focused. Dedicated. Motivated and never takes the easy way out. That’s why it’s important to find alternatives. So here is a delicious alternative. To keep you on track and working towards your goals but still able to enjoy the Christmas season with the odd exception.
Cinnamon, nutmeg and chili stimulate the metabolism, so that the fat burning process is boosted. On the other hand they will keep you warm from the inside in the cold season, as they stimulate thermogenesis. And, due to the spices these cookies don’t need additional sweetener. The ground almonds provide you with lots of healthy fats and vegetable protein and vitamins. They are the perfect alternative to a classic snack!
for 12 cookies
- 200g ground almonds (7 oz.)
- 50g cashew nuts (1.8 oz.)
- 1 organic orange
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes (fresh or dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons almond or cashew paste (100g or 3.5 oz.) (Unsweetened, no additives)
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F, no convection). Crush cashews coarsely with a mortar or with the broad side of a large knife blade.
- Wash orange with hot water and pat dry. Then grate zest finely. Cut orange in half and squeeze.
- Mix ground almonds, crushed cashews, orange zest and orange juice with cinnamon, chili flakes, nutmeg, almond or cashew paste and egg.
- Moisten hands and shape 12 balls. Put them on a baking parchment covered baking sheet and press them, so that they become round cookies. Bake cookies for approx. 25 minutes on middle rack.
Find many more Christmas cookie recipes on our new upgraded Nutrition Coach. This offers you 11 new Christmas recipes for the season. To ensure that you are supplying your body with all the important nutrients it needs for the winter period. Because being a Free Athlete doesn’t end with your workout. Choose healthy alternatives and stick to achieving your goals.