After years of being underappreciated, beets are finally enjoying their much-deserved place at the center stage of a healthy diet. Not only are they full of essential nutrients like B vitamins, iron, copper, magnesium, and potassium, these ruby gems are also high in immune boosting compounds, and incredibly versatile. Still skeptical? Check out these 3 unexpected ways to enjoy beets.
Roasted Beetroot Hummus
Roasted beetroots, with their subtle sweetness, add a delicious twist to traditional hummus. This stunning magenta snack is flavoured with tahini, garlic and spices, and is the perfect blend of creamy and tangy. Great as a dip or as a spread, it‘s as versatile as it is vibrant.
- 1 small beet
- 1¾ cup cooked chickpeas, drained
- zest of 1 large lemon
- juice of half a large lemon
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 heaped tbsp tahini
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 190°C and roast beet for about 1 hour. Make sure beet is wrapped in tin foil. Allow it to cool in fridge to room temperature.
- Once beet has cooled, peel, quarter and place in food processor. Blend until almost smooth. Add remaining ingredients except for olive oil and blend until totally smooth.
- Drizzle with olive oil as hummus is mixing. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. If the mixture is too thick, add a little water.
Coconut Beet Soup with Ginger
This vibrant dish is surprisingly simple to whip up, and can be enjoyed hot or cold. Cozy up to it on a brisk night or enjoy it chilled on a summer afternoon. It‘s perfect when you‘re craving something creamy and spicy at the same time, not to mention how good it will look on your instagram feed.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 3 large red beets, peeled and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 5 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 1 can low-fat coconut milk
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- parsley (optional)
- In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add beets and 4 cups of vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until beets are fork-tender for about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender, adding as much of the remaining 1 cup of stock until desired consistency has been reached. Stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley if desired.
It‘s time to stop thinking about beetroot as simply a colourful salad ingredient. Because it just so happens to make a deliciously healthy dessert too.
- 2-3 large sliced beets (precooked and cooled)
- 8-10 mint leaves
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut juice
- 1 cup water
- Blend all ingredients together until completely smooth. Add more water if necessary.
- Blend again before serving.