Get your Coach

How to fight through the most painful part of your workout

template header23

Pain is inevitable. No matter how physically fit you are, there will be a time when you feel like you can’t continue. Like one more repetition is impossible. This is when most people quit. 99% will give up. They will listen to their mind instead of challenging it. This is your chance. Be the 1% who doesn’t. One of the special few who rise above it and fight through the pain. You have it within yourself. Here is how to do it:

Choose a mantra

There is always a reason for people to change. To work hard for something. Are you trying to prove someone wrong? Do you want to improve your life? Reach a goal? Remember this reason. When the pain gets too much, say it to yourself. Over and over again. Better yet, shout it. “I can do this”, “I will not give up”, “I will prove them wrong”. Who cares if it sounds crazy? It works. Trick your brain into believing it.

Remember: You aren’t the only one

Next time you feel it’s unbearable, remember you aren’t the only one. You feel the same pain as others. Even professional athletes. They continue. Why shouldn’t you? They aren’t superhuman. They have simply figured out a way to endure it more. Yes, of course this takes time. But the more you exercise the more you will improve your tolerance. So keep going. Next time it will be easier.

Take every minute at a time

Freeletics is different to a team sport. Unlike soccer or basketball, there are less distractions that make the time pass quicker. It’s just you, your thoughts and the Coach. Because of this, you need to focus on just getting past the next minute ahead of you. Once that’s over, focus on making it past one more. And one more. And one more. Every minute that passes makes you one minute closer to the end.

Focus on anything but the pain

The more you think about it, the worse it gets. Do yourself a favor: give your attention to something else. Your form. Your breathing.  Your rhythm. Music. One of the best distractions is another athlete. A training buddy. When you are racing someone, whether they are aware of it or not, all thoughts of pain go out the window. All you can think about is that there is no way in hell you are going to let them beat you.

Pain is only temporary. It will not last forever. You can’t avoid it but you can choose to overcome it. It’s now down to you. Give up or give it your all?